I had a callout to a returning customer of mine. His milk chiller went down last Saturday night. It was running at 14 degrees during the day. My customer switched the chiller off for the night and switched it back on the following morning. Nevertheless, the chiller would not go any lower than 7 degrees.

On a Sunday morning, the shop owner sent me a text and described the problem he was having. At first, I didn’t feel like going out for a fault assessment on Sunday, but then I remembered that my promise to my customers is the Same Day Service and I need to act upon my promise whenever I can. I also had some unfinished business with Burger King in Bedfordshire and a couple of personal appointments was coming up early in the week. I thought it will be too busy this coming week and I don’t want to put my customers on wait. Needless to say, I attended the job on Sunday.

When I arrived on site it was two Arneg multideck chillers connected end to end that was out of service. It didn’t take me long to find the fault. But it took me two more hours to conclude this chiller has a leak in a location I cannot access and I will need to reattend with my labourer Kayne to get to the next step with this milk chiller.

We attended the following day. It is because we have experience in this field we swiftly removed a glass door, stripped this chiller of the fans panel and of the evaporator. We took the opportunity and cleaned the base of the case and proceeded to repair the evaporator.

This is what a used milk chiller looks like when the fans panel and evaporator are removed. The green mass in the left corner is a refrigeration oil that has leaked out of the evaporator together with the refrigerant. To be fair this is by far not in the worst condition refrigerated case I’ve seen in my career.
This is the case after I and Kayne washed the case. I also had to remove one of the glass doors to get the evaporator and fan panel out of the case.
We removed the evaporator and took it outside for leak finding and repair. You can see a refrigerant leak on the gas distributor. Emerging bubbles prove gas is exiting the evaporator in this location.

I closed this leak by brazing. We then proceeded to put the evaporator back in the case and joined the pipes. It is good practice to pressure test the system after it is assembled and so I did. Unfortunately the system didn’t hold the pressure and I had to remove the evaporator from the case again and take it outside for another pressure test. Further testing proved there was another leak. I brazed the second leak and fitted the evaporator in the case.

The second gas leak on the evaporator was found and fixed. The rest of this repair is history as we say. The fridge is up and running and people can shop for cold milk again.

Tags

| | | | | |